Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Making a List; Checking it Twice

Simple idea to keep your students' work papers organized.  Wish I did this sooner!  Would have saved me a lot of headache :)Simon saves everything of importance.  He has receipts that date back 15 years.  He recently invested in a NEAT scanner because the thermal paper used at most businesses to print receipts begins to disappear after a few months, sometimes a few months.  

He doesn’t believe in New Year’s Resolutions but tried each year to set goals he believed were attainable.  Like many of his friends he didn’t bother to write them down because he had a memory like an elephant, the only problem was that by the end of the first quarter of the New Year he always found himself overwhelmed with projects that trumped his goals and so his goals were put on the back burner. Why?  Simon came from a huge needy family and he had not yet learned to say “no” to their numerous requests.  Now don’t get it twisted, he wasn’t a punk or a sucker, his family just had a lot of needs.  This pattern had repeated itself for decades but this year, he decided was going to be different.  Twenty Fourteen was a year of growth and prosperity, not necessarily financially because there was no lack in that area, but emotionally and spiritually, because he had to fight for what he wanted and each victory yielded more confidence and determination.  After what seemed like an eternity, he finally found his footing and had embraced his new normal though it still didn’t fit quite right.  His new normal reminded him of a brand new pair of tennis that he had to break in, but once they were broken in, they were just right, custom fit to his mildly deformed feet.  That’s a whole other story we don’t have time for.

As he meditated on the battles and victories of 2014 he decided that 2015 was going to be a year of rest as defined by the biblical meaning of 15.  Not helping people wasn’t an option because he was certain that he had been blessed with the gift of helping others as described in a passage from his favorite book: 
Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church: first are apostles, second are prophets, third are teachers, then those who do miracles, those who have the gift of healing,
those who can help others, those who have the gift of leadership, those who speak in unknown languages.  1 Corinthians 12:28 (NLT)
He was clear that he was operating in his lane, he just had to get better at prioritizing the help and creating healthy boundaries to avoid burnout.  He knew it would probably ruffle some feathers so when and if it did he would be prepared with a good sound response and plan of action.

I know you might be thinking that I’m rambling, but I assure you I am not.  If you will recall, I stated earlier that Simon saves and/or keeps track of everything.  He even has lists which contain the names, dates and type of help he gives each year.  I’m not playing.  He created an excel spreadsheet to automate his list and make it easily accessible.  He can sort by: name; date; frequency; help type – financial, emotional, physical, and spiritual, etc. complete with a pie chart that aided him in determining whether or not he should offer any additional help to the individual(s) for the quarter or year. 

Orientation Forms Checkoff List:  This checkoff list is used to check off forms that have been completed and turned in on each student. It is very helpful because I can keep track of who has turned in what forms. I also can tell at a glance if someone has not turned in forms or if someone is missing completed forms.   http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Orientation-Forms-Checkoff-ListThat’s a little special, but what is even more baffling is his offense list.  Yes, I said offense list.  Initially he kept a mental list but came up with the ingenious idea to model his “help list” thus creating an offense list.  Very few people know it but he keeps a list of offenses that he believes have been levied against him.  He’s so “gangsta” with it that when someone offends him – wait, let me rephrase that because being offended is a choice -- when he accepts an offense from someone, the offender won’t really know that he is angry because he rarely shows emotion.  Instead, he edits his offense list and waits for the perfect time to get even and you better trust, he is going to get you back even if it takes years.  He is not two-faced at all, he is very calculating and unassuming.  He will continue to oblige you, engage in conversations, share a meal, sit next to you in church, at the club, etc. but Simon is studying his offender, collecting information and calculating his next move.

Yes, of course Simon is a believer, he’s been “in the church” for decades!  His great uncle Ben was the founder of the church, he is a bible scholar, tither, has held every position you can think of and one of his responsibilities is a senior counselor which exposes him to sensitive information about people who seek their counsel.  I’m not saying that he has or currently usurps his position to obtain inflammatory information that can be used later against someone that has crossed him, excuse me, whom he believes offended him or whatever you wanna call it, I’m just saying there have been several coincidental discoveries made, revealed and used against his offenders. 

Artodyssey: Morgan WeistlingNow I’m not judging him, I work very hard today not to judge peoples, but, I am a pretty good fruit inspector, so the challenge I have with this behavior is that it is completely un-biblical.  How?  I’m so glad you asked.  I found several passages from my favorite book that can substantiate my concerns.  Listen to this: 

If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing.  If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.  1 Corinthians 13: 1-7 (NLT)

I’m out of time for now, let’s pick it up later


Because of His Favor


Tania Not Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment