Tuesday, August 5, 2014

New Beginnings Pt. 1: The History of Eight (8)

4+4=8           1+7=8          3+5=8
   E I G H T 
any way you add it up

The number eight (8) biblically represents a new beginning, meaning a new order or creation, and man's true 'born again' event when he is resurrected from the dead into eternal life.
·         Dead meaning spiritually dead to sin, not in the physical realm.

Perfect Sacrifice
Like the Old Testament Passover lamb, Jesus was selected as the Lamb to take away man's sins on the Hebrew day of Nisan 10 (April 1, 30 A.D. - John 12: 27–29). “Right now I am storm-tossed. And what am I going to say? ‘Father, get me out of this’? No, this is why I came in the first place. I’ll say, ‘Father, put your glory on display.’” A voice came out of the sky: “I have glorified it, and I’ll glorify it again.” 29 The listening crowd said, “Thunder!” Others said, “An angel spoke to him!” 30-33 Jesus said, “The voice didn’t come for me but for you. At this moment the world is in crisis. Now Satan, the ruler of this world, will be thrown out. And I, as I am lifted up from the earth, will attract everyone to me and gather them around me.” He put it this way to show how he was going to be put to death.
·         This text covers the Passover season just prior to Jesus death when he was greatly troubled about the upcoming crucifixion but he settles himself with the resolve that the crucifixion is the very reason he is on earth; Jesus prays to God (in essence for help, confirmation if you will) and the Father answers with a thunderous voice which his followers heard.  He then tells them of his impending death but it goes right over their heads.
He was crucified on Nisan 14 (Wednesday, April 5 in 30 A.D.). His resurrection occurred, exactly as he stated, three days and three nights after he was buried, which was at the end of the weekly Sabbath day that fell on Nisan 17 (seventeen symbolizes victory). Nisan 17 was also the eighth day, counting inclusively, from the time Christ was selected as man's sacrificial Lamb. All this bears record of Jesus' perfect sacrifice and His complete victory over death.

Physical Circumcision
According to The Mosaic Law boys were to be circumcised on the eight (8th) day of life. The number eight (8) in this context symbolizes circumcision of the heart through Christ and the receiving of the Holy Spirit (Romans 2:28-29, Colossians 2:11-13).
·         For you are not a true Jew just because you were born of Jewish parents or because you have gone through the ceremony of circumcision. 29 No, a true Jew is one whose heart is right with God. And true circumcision is not merely obeying the letter of the law; rather, it is a change of heart produced by the Spirit. And a person with a changed heart seeks praise from God, not from people.  Romans 2:28-29 (NLT)
·         When you came to Christ, you were “circumcised,” but not by a physical procedure. Christ performed a spiritual circumcision—the cutting away of your sinful nature, 12 For you were buried with Christ when you were baptized. And with him you were raised to new life because you trusted the mighty power of God, who raised Christ from the dead.  13 You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ, for he forgave all our sins. Colossians 2:11-13 (NLT)

Those in Christ are a new creation, with godly character being created by the power of God's Spirit:
·         This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! 2 Corinthians 5:17 (NLT)
·         For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.  Ephesians 2:10 (NLT)
·         Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy. Ephesians 4:23-24 (NLT)
The Ephesians scriptures above almost sound contradictory, but if we look a little closer we see they are not:  
·         Ephesians 2:10 says we are God’s masterpiece, he created us the way we are on purpose so we can attract the people assigned to our life’s journey.  Our lives God…; “how could God have ….”; “I thought God loved ….”.  Let me stop you before you get started.  We are going to stop whining about what we perceive is/is not fair (yes, me included).  Do you remember the story of Joseph?  Does your stuff compare to his in any shape, form or fashion.  Press pause, while you think about it, go ahead, I’ll wait while you have your Selah moment.  (10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1) Yeah, No, I didn’t think so.  Again, we’re not going to whine about the PROCESS (because that’s all it is, nothing more, nothing less).  Instead we’re gonna dig our heals in, learn the lesson and go through it (the PROCESS).  We’re not gonna pull over, park, get out of the vehicle and stake our claim.  We’re going through, we’re not moving to Drama Lane permanently.  The sooner we understand that point, the sooner we will get it (the PROCESS) and move on, refined in the newness that only our process will produce.  
·         Ephesians 4:23-24 advises that we allow the Spirit of Christ us.  If we don’t allow him to renew us he won’t force himself and therein lies part of the problem.  We don’t give him permission to “renew our thoughts and attitudes”.  We become “frozen” like Pastor Dave talked about.  The bible also calls it being Lukewarm.  The role we have to play in the newness is putting on the new nature of God.

Tania Not Tanya nugget:  I am not diminishing your stuff.  If you are anything like me my stuff was so heavy that if I wasn’t sure of who God was and my faith and confidence in him, I would have literally given up.  That’s real talk right there.  But I knew in my heart that God WAS NOT unjust, unfair, mean, manipulative or an insensitive lying God.  At one point on my process journey (not that long ago either) all I had was my faith in God.  Some of the people that I thought loved me as much as I loved them betrayed me and it cut deep, so deep that the only soothing balm was the word of God and his voice when he would console me at night as I soaked the pillows I was using  with the hurt that leaked from my heart, worked its way up to my tear ducts, slipped out of my closed eyes and down my brown cheeks landing on pillows that weren’t even mine while I stuffed the screams of anguish that I wanted so desperately to release but could not.  So I know some of our drama is very deep but it is also very necessary in order to get us in the vehicle or keep us in the vehicle that will be used on the road of our journey which leads to purpose.  That’s what I need you to get dear heart.

Look what Ephesians 4 says about the new nature:
·      So stop telling lies. Let us tell our neighbors the truth, for we are all parts of the same body.  And “don’t sin by letting anger control you.” Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil.  If you are a thief, quit stealing. Instead, use your hands for good hard work, and then give generously to others in need.  Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them.  And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.  Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior.  Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.

I am totally out of time but I promise we’ll pick it up tomorrow.


In His New Excellence,




Tania Not Tanya  

No comments:

Post a Comment