Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Forgiveness Pt. 16: It Ain't Over Til God Says It's Over

The declaration Forgiveness Pt. 15: Which Truth Should I Believe? Ended with the most emotional family
reunion of all time, in my humble opinion.  Joseph’s extended family had finally arrived in Egypt after what seemed like an eternity but was more like two to three months from when he revealed his true identity to his 11 brothers.  There were approximately 66 relatives (not including the unborn babies that were conceived in Canaan and born in Egypt) that neither his wife nor children had met and vice versa.  There were sure to be cultural adjustments that were to be made, logistics with regards to housing, securing their flock and settling into their new “home”.  Joseph realized all those things and being the man of excellence he was I am sure he had a plan as well as a plan b.  But none of that really mattered, what was most important was that he was finally with his Daddy after all these years.  Neither of them could hardly believe it which is why they held onto each other so tightly for so long.  They knew it was true, but it was still hard to believe.  Finally Israel broke the silence and said:  “I’m ready to die. I’ve looked into your face—you are indeed alive.”  Genesis 46:30 (The Message)

Genesis 46:31-34 (paraphrased):  Israel then introduced and re-introduced Joseph to the entire clan some of whom he remembered but others he did not know, like his brother’s wives and the children born after he was separated from his family.  After meeting everyone he addressed the entire clan:   Joseph then spoke to his brothers and his father’s family. “I’ll go and tell Pharaoh, ‘My brothers and my father’s family, all of whom lived in Canaan, have come to me. The men are shepherds; they’ve always made their living by raising livestock. And they’ve brought their flocks and herds with them, along with everything else they own.’ When Pharaoh calls you in and asks what kind of work you do, tell him, ‘Your servants have always kept livestock for as long as we can remember—we and our parents also.’ That way he’ll let you stay apart in the area of Goshen—for Egyptians look down on anyone who is a shepherd.”  Genesis 46:31-34 (The Message)

I imagine that after the family business was complete they indulged in a feast fit for kings in and around the
temporary tents Joseph had erected and filled with all the fine comforts of Egypt.  Some of the items were a little over the top for Israel and his clan that lived the simple life of nomads but if it pleased Joseph then he was pleased.  The women and children were especially excited with the silks, mirrors, jewelry, clothing, fluffy couch pillows and other household artifacts most of which they had never seen before but would make life more convenient in these “modern times”.  After the introductions, festivities and celebratory events, Joseph and Israel went outside to enjoy the night air but primarily to talk privately.  When Israel began to ask specific questions about: who, what, when, etc. Joseph respectfully stopped him and told him that he was sent to Egypt to save his family, nothing more or less and no matter how he ended up there, it was all a part of God’s plan.  Israel could have pressed the issue, but the peace inside kept him quiet and he respected his son’s wishes.  They hugged and kissed again and Joseph left the camp for the night.


Genesis 47:1-12 Paraphrased:  Shortly after Joseph’s family arrived in Egypt he took five of his brothers to meet Pharaoh, reminding them of what to say and the appropriate protocol.  After their conversation and determining their profession Pharaoh instructed Joseph to settle them in Goshen, the choicest land of Egypt and he even went as far as offering those who were “especially good at their work” an opportunity to work personally for Pharaoh managing his livestock.   Can you imagine how the brothers must have felt?  Humbled, proud, unworthy, excited all at the same time.  I’m sure it was hard for them to believe their brother’s kindness, but they were living it and had no other choice. 

After the meeting with his brothers, Joseph introduced Israel to Pharaoh.  Wait a minute, press pause for a minute: 

Israel, Joseph’s father gets an introduction to Pharaoh, the King of Egypt.  I can imagine that Israel’s wives and grandchildren made more of a fuss about the occasion than he did, helping him select just the right attire, one of the many robes that Joseph had given his father as a gift, along with the girdle (sash) and sandals freshly made by Joseph’s personal sandal-maker.  The wives fused over his hair, cleaned his fingernails and insisted that he take a bath and use the scented oil that Joseph had also given his Daddy.  Israel went along with all of it except the sandals.  The leather was too stiff and it hurt his feet.  He refused to wear them and insisted on his old worn sandals that he wore from Canaan to Egypt and there would be no more discussion about it he said with an “old man’s” attitude.  They knew that tone far too well so they all backed up.  But Israel is going to meet the King, everybody thought it was such a big deal but at Israel’s age he really wasn’t impressed because he had met and fought with the Angel of the Lord.  While he respected the Pharaoh especially since he treated Joseph so well, he reverenced and honored God. 

After the meeting ended with Pharaoh Joseph and his brothers returned to his palace where Israel was resting and waiting for them.   When they arrived, they shared a meal and the results of their meeting with Pharaoh including the offer to work for him.  Once they finished, Joseph and Israel met with Pharaoh alone.  Joseph was far more excited than Israel.  All of Pharaoh’s officials were there, even Cup E. Bearer who had told Pharaoh about Joseph’s abilities to interpret dreams.  He was practically in tears as he introduced these two great and wise men to each other.  They indulged in friendly conversation and towards the end of their meeting, Pharaoh asked Israel his age and he replied “The years of my sojourning are 130—a short and hard life and not nearly as long as my ancestors were given.” Then Jacob blessed Pharaoh and left.  Joseph settled his father and brothers in Egypt, made them proud owners of choice land—it was the region of Rameses (that is, Goshen)—just as Pharaoh had ordered. Joseph took good care of them—his father and brothers and all his father’s family, right down to the smallest baby. He made sure they had plenty of everything.  Genesis 47:9-12 (The Message) 

Talk about a moment in history; a Kodak moment, man, I would have loved to be a fly on the wall to witness that exchange.  Joseph was a man of humility, but I bet his chest stuck out so far it practically filled the room they were in.  After allllllllllllllllll the humiliation, heartache, hurt, confusion, betrayal, you name it he suffered he has the honor of presenting his aged father before the highest man in their Country.

As we conclude Joseph’s life story and I reflect over my journey, considering the injustices that I have experienced at the hands of the haters who were assigned to me, I have to wonder if I could be as forgiving as Joseph.  While I love God with all my heart and I want my life to please him, it seems almost an impossibility for me to do so in and of my own strength.  Don’t get me wrong, I believe that I can forgive, in fact I have forgiven, but to then serve and go above and beyond to assist a hater (notice I don’t use the phrase “my hater(s) because it’s all about the verbiage, haters don’t belong to me, no ma’am, no sir.  Don’t want ‘em.)   However, when I reflect on Joseph’s complete unselfishness, it gives me confidence that if presented with the challenge and/or test, I too would pass with flying colors because I realize that with Christ I can do all things, according to Philippians 4:19.  If it is required and it is my assignment, I know that it would not be delegated to me unless God knew I could deliver the goods.


The Beginning ....

In His Excellent Service




Tania Not Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment