Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Fall Pt 3: Skating on top of the Hill

I literally had several epiphanies during yesterday’s blog that I had not considered until I was mid-sentenced sharing with you.  For example:

Epiphany 1: I was a goal setting resourceful dreamer with tenacity, determination and a no quit attitude as young as six years old.   

I spoke with my 81 year old mother yesterday about my formative years when we lived in the Fillmore.  She reminded me that the address to our bi-level Victorian styled duplex was 2539 Post Street.  As I rattled off my recollections it seemed to me that her thoughts were sparked just enough to ignite some memory of some of the things I recalled about me having resolve, tenacity and determination as a young child.  I am blessed that my mother was hands-on and loved being a mother.  She taught me so many things about being a lady, wife, mother, servant, etc. 

Epiphany 2:  my mother served as a mediator (aka go-between) for me to my father.  But I had a role to play: 
  • I had to understand that my mother was a resource, an advocate and could speak on my behalf to my father far better than I could articulate and/or express; 
  • I thought about my options; 
  • I Decided specifically what I wanted; 
  • I Opened my mouth; and 
  • I Spoke authentically from my heart to effectively make my request known to my mediator, my mother, as I exercised my child-like faith, believing with all my heart she would help me. 
My inadequacies and ignorance as a young six year old made me ill-equipped to take on the responsibility of supplying my own need(s).  I didn’t have the capacity for it then and I still don’t to this day.  Therefore, it wasn’t necessary for me to have a bunch of details, specs, price quotes, etc. because my mother knew me well enough to know my heart and she could feel my passion about the “ask”.  Once I asked she assured me she would take care of everything.  It was a done deal at that point as far as I was concerned because I had done my part (asked and believed).   There was no need for me to worry, become anxious, fearful or doubtful.  In fact I did just the opposite, I dreamed about my new skates, couldn’t wait to get them and knowing me I told the “big kids” I was getting my new skates any day now.  Not as an obnoxious bratty little kid but as a confident child who believed in the power of (the) ask.  Most importantly I knew it was a done deal because my mother had never let me down; she always kept her word even if that word was “NO”. 
Who is he who condemns? It is Christ who died, and furthermore is also risen, who is even at the right hand of God, who also makes intercession for us.  Romans 8:34 (NKJV)  The NLT says: and he is sitting in the place of honor at God’s right hand, pleading for us.
This relationship has a very close parallel to that of Christ and his children (you and me) even though Christ is not female as my mother.  Very often we have a desire, some may describe it as a wish, but it’s much deeper than that.  We find the courage to pray (ask) the Lord (Jesus Christ) about the thing(s) we need and desire.  We may not pray (ask) as eloquently as others because it’s foreign to us for a variety of reasons: (e.g. not used to praying; condemnation; feeling unworthy; undeserving, etc.) but you decide to pray (ask) regardless of how you “feel”.  You approach him not really even knowing what to say or how to say it but when you finally open your mouth and release the words they flow as effortless as a waterfall cascading over a cliff.  Somehow with no explanation and/or physical confirmation you know you were heard and that he’s gonna come through for you.  You may not get it as instantly as I did yesterday after meeting the need of someone and less than 10 minutes later the money I planted was return with a bunch of interest.  You may not even get it the second or third day but when the Lord comes through, he comes through in a big way and you have everything you need and some, simply because you opened your mouth and asked.  Is anybody else excited about that other than me?

Tania Not Tanya nugget:  God is not obligated to supply our wants, only our needs according to Philippians 4:19 (NLT)  And this same God who takes care of me will supply all your needs from his glorious riches, which have been given to us in Christ Jesus.

Learning to skate includes falling and sometimes those falls can be quite nasty.  However, a good skater doesn’t focus on the fall, s/he focuses on quickly getting back up and doing it again and again and again and again because the more we work at something the better we become.  Ultimately the falls will be far and few between, though still a reality as the art of skating is refined.

For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.  Romans 3:23 (NLT)

Once I mastered the hill I realized I could skate anywhere.  Do you hear me, anywhere: flat lands, mini hills, indoor roller rinks, etc.  It didn’t matter because I had mastered the hills in my little six year old life through patience, perseverance, determination, tenacity and a no quit attitude.  Today at 54 years old, I absolutely will not apologize for the amazing and fearfully made incredible woman I have been transformed into as a result of renewing my mind.  I worked hard to become who I am: denying myself certain activities; keeping my mouth shut when I wanted to go off; fasting; consecrations; praying; studying; tolerating unnecessary drama, humbling myself before God and people, submitting to leadership, and learning from the many life lessons that God orchestrated in my life.

oh how I miss the times I spent at the roller rinkI am humbled that God made a choice of me to suffer for him, to be an example, to be assigned the lessons that tried to make me drown in my own tears or suffocate from the pressure that came at me on every side.  I am so thankful that I listened to him and followed his instructions in spite of what others thought or their opinions.  At some point you gotta decide to put on your skates, lace them up tight enough so they won’t come lose and skate on top of the hill. 

Tania Not Tanya:  What do I mean?  For me, the hill represents the mountainous drama in our lives. The skates represent the shoes of peace and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. Ephesians 6:15 (ESV).  Because it is absolutely oxy-moronic to be defeated and victorious at the same time, “rollin’” on the drama when you first see it rising and for the duration produces strength for the “skating” lesson. 


Don’t be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength!”  Nehemiah 8:10 (NLT)  


In His New Excellence,

Tania not Tanya



No comments:

Post a Comment