Monday, September 1, 2014

Job 5 - Who's Blaming Who

Before continuing with the story of Job’s life let’s re-cap the previous blog:  Job’s friends Eliphaz, Bildad and Zophar make a decision to visit their dear friend, they are horrified by Job’s disfigurement to the point that for seven days and nights they are speechless until Job breaks the silence.  The lamenting that he does as a fully depressed man of God is completely shocking to them: Wishing he had not been born or that he was at least a still born birth but then again they had never witnessed this type of devastation in Job’s life either.  Job and his friends lived during the Patriarchal era prior to the Mosaic Law, however, they had religions practices, customs and beliefs.  One such belief was that a person’s tragedy was a direct result of their disobedience, similar to many well-meaning Christian folk today.  Galatians 6:8 says: Don’t be misled: No one makes a fool of God. What a person plants, he will harvest. The person who plants selfishness, ignoring the needs of others—ignoring God!—harvests a crop of weeds. All he’ll have to show for his life is weeds! But the one who plants in response to God, letting God’s Spirit do the growth work in him, harvests a crop of real life, eternal life.  I realize you may have thought all this time it was Karma, bad luck, etc. but “payback” is for real.  However, this, was not that.  In fact, Job set a precedent with his circumstances, this was a paradigm shift.  We know from Job 1:1-3 and 2:1-2 that God allowed the accuser to bring the calamity to prove that Job was righteous and that he would not curse God no matter what happened.  Job was right with God because he made the choice to obey Him in all things.  Today, we are made right with God because of the blood Jesus shed on Calvary over 2000 years ago, however, we are still required to obey God.  The debt was paid in advance, all we have to do is collect and keep goin.

I believe it was the friend’s plan for Eliphaz to speak first because he more than likely told them he had a “Word” for Job.  The challenge with that “word” is that it “terrified” Eliphaz and it was “muffled”, in other words it was unclear because it came from a fallen angel with just enough truth to grasp Eliphaz’ attention so it made the lies unnoticeable.  For you are the children of your father the devil, and you love to do the evil things he does. He was a murderer from the beginning. He has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, it is consistent with his character; for he is a liar and the father of lies.  John 8:44 (NLT).  New Ageism and cults have similar traits as they believe “some of the bible” sprinkled with a little “this and that”, those things “that” they agree with.  No matter how popular a man made “religion” is and who participates, it does not mute the point that as BABs (Born Again Believers) we believe Jesus is the son of God, crucified for our sins and resurrected on the third day.  Therefore, when we confess and believe we are saved through faith by the power of God through his son, Jesus and there is no other way to God but by his Son.

Job’s well meaning friend clearly relayed a fake “Word”.  Just as fake as synthetic hair that a well-seasoned stylist can spot a mile away.  No offense but if Eliphaz was as authentic as Job, he would have recognized that “spiritual” experience as fake or he would have at least asked like Joshua did when he wasn't sure.  When Joshua was near the town of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and demanded, “Are you friend or foe?” “Neither one,” he replied. “I am the commander of the Lord’s army.” At this, Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence. “I am at your command,” Joshua said. “What do you want your servant to do?”  Joshua 5:13-14 (NLT)

Chapter 6:  Job listened to his off but well meaning friend’s monologue without once interrupting him but now that he had the floor he intended to be heard.  This is how I see the conversation through my sanctified imagination:  “Hey man, check this out, you have no idea what it feels like to be crushed to the point of whining like a cat in heat.  It feels like God shot me with poisoned arrows which runs rampant through my entire body.  Even animals moan when they are uncomfortable, why do you think I shouldn't? Do you understand what has happened to me?  I have lost everything, man! Look at me, I am so repulsive that I turn my own stomach!  Do you think I have nerves of steel?  Do you think I can pull myself up by my own sandal straps?  Bruh, I don’t even have any more sandals?  Do you understand that I’m human and that right now I’m hurting emotionally, physically, spiritually, financially! 

I would think that as my friend you would at least have my back like I've had yours countless times, but instead, you stand in judgment of me like everybody else. I hear very well and what I hear right now is what you haven’t asked, instead you’re dodging what you believe is the real issue by disguising it with a bunch of rhetoric.  You pretend to tell me about my life but you dismiss my words like hot air.  Show me where I have gone wrong!  Show me my sin!  Show me man! Can you do that?!!  Look me in my eyes, don’t you think I would confess by now if there was sin in my life?  What would be the point of lying now!!  What sense would that make, I have nothing else to lose.  Life has become laborious with nothing to look forward to.  I've been suffering for months.  I toss and turn all night rarely finding a comfortable position.  My body is covered with maggots and scabs, my skin is hard, scaly and full of pus and there is no end in sight. 

God, please don’t forget about me.  I know I’m nothing more than a puff of air to you.  I’m laying it all out on the table.  I know I’m complaining right now but I would rather do that than to shut down and not talk to you at all.  I hate my life right now, I hate what it represents, who needs this kind of suffering?  There’s nothing to my life anymore.  What is man anyway that you should even trouble yourself with us?  You see us every morning and test us every moment.  Why won’t you leave me alone at least long enough so I can catch my breath?  If I have sinned what have I done?  Why am I your target?  Am I a burden to you?  Why not just forgive my sin and take away my guilt?”  Job chapter 7 (The Message).

Job goes from reading Eliphaz’ mail to complaining and questioning God.  Some may condemn his method of prayer but I give him props because at least he wasn't so depressed he shut down.  Granted its borderline blasphemous and he is not justified, but he is also not thinking rationally, he is hurting, frustrated and he is being judged by the people visiting him.    

I’m out of time, we’ll have to pick up tomorrow

In His New Excellence,


Tania Not Tanya  

No comments:

Post a Comment