Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Job Pt 13 – Stand Your Ground

In yesterday’s blog Zophar accused Job of being a hypocrite because he had exploited the poor and
violently taken away a house he did not build.  In other words, Job allegedly foreclosed on the property of some poor property owner and that “ungodly act” is the reason God punished Job so severely.  As a general rule foreclosures are related to the borrower’s inability to meet their financial obligations (regardless of the reason).  Who is this alleged poor person anyway?  Was he there to testify against Job or is this something Zophar heard?  Is a Christian lender obligated to ignore the debt of a borrower because of their faith?  Zophar’s accusations are completely unfounded and he is clearly grasping for straws to insinuate that Job’s punishment is fair based upon his actions is outrageous. 

At the conclusion of yesterday’s blog, the point about evil and righteous people suffering and prospering was raised passionately in hopes that we would wake up from the myth that the righteous suffer for wrong doing.  NO ONE (i.e. preacher, teacher, apostle, bishop, professor, theologian, seasoned church mother and/or lay person) can say with certainty why the righteous suffer.  We can certainly give our opinions, but that ain't the gospel truth.  Given that we cannot be certain of the cause but understanding it [suffering] will happen, not just once but at multiple intervals throughout our lives and without warning I might add, we would do well to accept the unexplained suffering as a necessary process in life.  If I accept this fact beforehand, resolve ourselves that the “why” as important as we try to make it out to be and decide we won’t focus on the length of time we are suffering, we will save ourselves a lifetime of agony.  Not that we walk around in fear or terror of doom, not at all, but that we are more prepared (than surprised) when things come up.  Even if the "suffering" knocks us to the ground, we pray while we are down there, pop back up and stand your ground.  

Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution.  2 Timothy 3:12
For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 2 Corinthians 4:17 (NLT)
Moment:  an indefinitely short period of time; instant; the present time or any other particular time; a definite period or stage, as in a course of events; juncture.

Tania Not Tanya moment.  Self-inflicted suffering is different.  For example:  A surveillance camera records me robbing a liquor store and a bystander captures my specialized BUGGOD license plates on their cell phone peeling out the parking lot and the people pick me up at home, that’s self-inflicted suffering and I deserve what I get for being so stupid and disobedient.  I should have at least had sense enough to remove the plates from my car or use an untraceable bicycle.  But, if I fully repent because I am sorry for my actions, not because I got caught (and there is a big difference); God will absolutely forgive me AND I believe he will turn the situation around for my good.  I will have to suffer the consequences but he will give me the grace to do so and/or he may allow me to find favor with the “judicial system” so that they are not as harsh as they could be.

We are clear by now that Job’s suffering was not self-inflicted, it was God-inflicted.  Let’s continue:

Chapter 21:  Job is understandably irritated with the Three Amigos due to their continued accusations but also because he is looking for sympathy and understanding that the Amigos are not willing to give because of their self-imposed beliefs that Job is a wicked, ungodly man.  He asks repeatedly for them to "point out my wickedness," but they don’t because they can’t.  He argues about the perceived benefits of the wicked: long life, witnessing the success of their children, prosperous business, enjoying their grandchildren play carefree, never having to fear the discipline of God, they die of natural causes, etc.  The wicked see no point in serving God because they “have everything”.  It may seem that God is showing favor to the wicked but who are we to tell God when and how to punish someone?  And who says the wicked are really enjoying all their “stuff”?  Our perceptions of their happiness do not equal the truth and getting “by” doesn't mean getting “away”.

Chapter 22: Eliphaz attacks Job for a third time.  Does anyone besides me see this as an unfair fight, it is after all three healthy men against one weak, broken, half-dead man.  Nothing about Eliphaz’ accusations are really different except this.  He points out that Job was not hospitable at some point in his life and that makes him a wicked, ungodly man.  While it may not seem like much to us during that time period not only was being inhospitable considered rude, it was actually considered a great wickedness if you didn’t: offer to help to a neighbor, offer food and/or beverages, clothing to those in need, aid to the fatherless and/or widows.  One of the travesties about our culture and the digital age is that we are self-absorbed, it’s all about me, me and I; what makes me feel good; what I want to do when I want to do it regardless to whether it inconveniences someone else or not.

Chapter 23:  Job’s response to Eliphaz was: “You know, to be perfectly honest, what's happened to
me is even worse than I'm complaining.  I'm not even really complaining a full measure for what I'm really feeling. You tell me to find God and be at peace.  Well how about this, can you tell me where he is, ‘cause I can’t find him?”  Job was looking in the wrong place and with the wrong attitude.

In closing, deep within the heart of every logical thinking human being there is a desire, search and/or quest for God because we were created to worship him, to have a relationship with him.  It’s not that people are not seeking and searching for God (that peace that is unquenchable), it’s that they are searching in the wrong places – money, things, people, positions, power, etc.  The only thing that will satisfy the emptiness they are trying to fill is having an intimate relationship with God through His Son, Jesus Christ, period, end of story put an exclamation mark at the end of the sentence.

I’m out of time, we’ll have to pick it up tomorrow.

In His New Excellence,

Tania Not Tanya


No comments:

Post a Comment