Thursday, April 10, 2014

Weapons of Mass Destruction Part 2



Paisley and Fresca grew up in the same neighborhood and attended the same schools.  Fresca became a registered nurse and Paisley landed a really good job right out of high school.  They were approaching their mid-30s, single, no children, both loved God but wanted to be married and start a family.  Paisley was a beautiful young lady, she was loyal, a great listener and gave great advice, but she seriously lacked self-confidence. She was the darkest child among her siblings and they reminded her of it constantly as a child along with many others, including adults. There was even a rumor that her mom, Luisa, may have “stepped out on her dad”, Chester.  Fresca was just as beautiful inside and out but she always struggled with her weight.  She had tried every diet you can think of only to have minimal, short-term success and what she lost she gained back and some.  The weight was starting to be an embarrassment especially since she was a personal stylist and make-up artist in high demand.   

Over lunch one Saturday Paisley told Fresca that she had scheduled a gastric by-pass consultation but she wasn’t sure if it was God’s will.  Fresca was stunned and immediately starting asking a ton of questions.  Initially Paisley was a little defensive, but she knew Fresca was only asking out of concern but when Fresca asked if she was getting help to work on her the root of her weight challenges that ticked Paisley off and she let Fresca have it:  “look at the kettle calling the pot black, no pun intended, but you have been dealing with low self-esteem for years, how are you gonna talk to me about my issues?”

Fresca turned red, but Paisley couldnt see it.  She was seething on the inside because that was a sore spot for Fresca and Paisley knew it.  She took a breath, asked God for help and said:  “Sister, I would never intentionally say anything to hurt you. We both have past hurts that have led to our emotional challenges but we are, stuck and Im tired of being stuck.  Im tired of wearing a mask.  I want to be healed from feeling the way I do about myself.  One of the reasons I wanted to meet with you is to tell you Ive been talking to a psychologist who is a saved spirit filled Believer.  I’ve seen him five times and we begin and end with prayer and he even uses the bible to back up his counseling advice.  It feels more like an individual bible study on steroids.  When he told me that this was a spiritual attack against me and that I was in the fight for me life something inside me clicked.  I’ve heard that phrase before but I didn’t think it applied to me in this situation.  I never saw my family as attacking me but the enemy has used their words to do so.  At my last session we developed a strategic plan for my healing and I don’t need to ask God if this is His will because he wants me to live in peace and to be whole.  Here it is:

1.  Affirm myself every day.  I have love notes written to myself all over my house so when I feel the self-hatred try to rise I see positive affirmations:  You are beautiful; You are the apple of Gods eye; I will praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made, marvelous are your works, and that my soul knows very well. (Psalm 139:14); Black power – Im full of it; The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice; Fresca, I love you girl and then I smile and hug myself.  Its like Im falling in love with myself, not in a sick kind of way, but I can feel my confidence rising.  My co-workers even see a difference.  Somebody started a rumor that I must have a “Man” because Im smiling all the time and you know what I havent said anything different because I do have a man, Jesus, and He loves me for who I am.  The key word is that I have to SAY something to combat the self-hatred that I have been battling for years.    
Romans 12:2 (NLT): Dont copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know Gods will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. 

2.  When the time is right I’m calling a family meeting to address the complexion prejudices in my family. I dont believe they teased me maliciously and I doubt they realize how much it has affected me, but unless I say something about it and create healthy boundaries, they will continue, not necessarily with me, but with the next generation.
 
I have learned that the emotional issues that we have been dealing with are a direct attack against us from the enemy and that he uses words as his primary weapon.  Words can be powerful forces that build up or tear down and kill.  I have also learned that our words determine our future:  He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from troubles.  (Proverbs 21:23 NLT) Watch your tongue and keep your mouth shut, and you will stay out of trouble (NLT) When the enemy throws a distraction you have to be able to recognize it and hold your tongue, whether it’s from cussing somebody out, being nice-nasty, speaking negative words over yourself or someone else.  My "aha" was learning that our number one weapon is the name of Jesus Christ.  Everything in the earth and heaven, bows to the name of Jesus and that includes the enemy. We don’t have to give into him beating us up with his accusations that we are not good enough, pretty enough, thin enough, light enough anymore.

Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth.  Philippians 2:9-10 (NLT)

Sis, having the surgery is not a bad thing there are just risks you have to consider.  I know it’s God’s will for us to be in good health and this could be the jump start that you need, but it won’t work if you sabotage the surgery and continue making Wingstop runs at 11 o’clock at night.  God is not gonna leave heaven to snatch chicken wings dripping with hot sauce out of your hand.  They both cracked up laughing.    

Paisley was floored by Fresca's level of confidence and eagerly agreed to see the psychologist before she made a final decision on the surgery and then finished off her double cheese burger and fries. 

Earlier in the lesson Paisley wondered if the surgery was God’s will.  I am sure that many of us had uttered that statement at one point or another.  I know I have but what I recently discovered is that I was subconsciously using that phrase as a way of covering God so just in case I didn’t get the request I could fall back on “Oh, I guess it wasn’t God’s will”.  Basic needs are always God's will for our lives.  For example:  If you’re unemployed and you find a job that you really want because (money, schedule, type of work, fits your life plan, etc.), you passed the drug screen, background check, etc. and they offer it to you out of ALL the hundreds of people that applied, that's a pretty good indication that you should probably take it.  Or, You’re battling anxiety/worry:  Stop pressing rewind on your thoughts! You think about it, think about it, think about it, think about it until you give yourself a migrane, and then wonder why you're depressed and ask God to "take the drama away".  He’s not going to do what you can do for yourself, which is to stop thinking about it.   And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise. Philippians 4:8(NLT)

Trust your instincts; God put them there for a reason.  Pay attention; it’s free.


In His Humble Excellence,


Tania

No comments:

Post a Comment