Monday, October 6, 2014

Fight Club Pt. 1

When I was the Director of the Bayview Hope Transportation Academy from time to time I would conduct “Intake Interview” with potential candidates seeking entry approval.  One of the sections of the intake interview was designed to gather information about the candidate’s “background”.  The program was created for the underserved (e.g. transitioning from welfare to work; previously incarcerated – felonies or misdemeanors; former substance abusers; etc.)  So clearly it wasn’t to pass judgment but to determine if they would be a good fit for the vocational training program.  For example:  if someone had a DUI/DWI within the last ten years they would not be accepted, no exceptions.  As I was preparing this blog my mind went back to several intakes where a candidate discussed an assault charge.  Whenever someone from my cultural background used the phrase or similar phrases to: “I hadda handle my business” or “I hadda do what I hadda to do” my interpretation was that there was a fight.  However, when I spoke with someone from a different cultural background who used the word fight, I asked for clarity to ensure we were on the same page.  Ironically, the word fight for them may have also meant they had an argument.  There are multiple definitions for the word fight and there are various types of fights.  Let’s review the definitions first, shall we?

Fight (www.dictionary.com):  a battle or combat; any contest or struggle; an angry argument or disagreement.  A bout or contest; a game or diversion in which the participants hit or pelt each other with something harmless; ability, will, or inclination to fight. 

The word fight is used in a variety of phrases that do not necessarily translate into violent exchanges, for example, song titles:  “Don’t Fight the Feeling (Too $hort); “Fight the Power (Public Enemy 2005; Isley Brothers 2004); Fight for your Right (to Party) Beasty Boys and Blondie; Fight For You – Mali Music.  Many of us are familiar with the fight expressions: Fighting for my life; I’m gonna fight until I win; Let them fight it out, etc.

Types of Fights:
·       A Food fight:  The only ones I have witnessed have been on the screen.  Most people from my culture would get a beat-down from on high for wasting food that their parent(s)/caregivers worked hard to provide, soooooooo …..
·       To fight the passage of a bill – A “bill” is a piece of proposed legislation that either originated or was modified in the United States Senate. In order to become law, a senate bill must win majority approval in both the Senate and the House of Representatives and then be approved by the President of the United States.  Obviously if a member of Congress opposes the bill they will fight it and lobby to get others to do so;
·       A pillow fight – they always look like so much fun on screen (e.g. TV, the theater, etc.), but if you have ever been in a pillow fight with a hater or aggressive opponent(s), those feathers or foam stuffing can hurt;
water fight @ANNIKA VOGT Smith @Ian Tuck Christensen @Naomi Francois Smith @Plainview Vintage Foster·       A water fight – the ones you voluntarily enlist in are the best, the ones that you are volunteered for are the worst.  Point in case: early 2000 during Indian Summer for the Bay I drove to SF with my freshly silked waist length hair.  My car did not have air conditioning so all my windows were down.  As I approached the complex where my daughter and sons lived at the time, I noticed a young bruh running towards my car with a huge bucket as I was stopped temporarily at the guard check-in station of the complex.  As I retrieved my license from the guard, I felt a gush of water as if the heavens had opened up inside my Honda Civic.  As I looked up to see the young bruh running from my car towards a larger crowd that was laughing uncontrollably approximately 40-50 yards away I realized they were playing some type of water game and I was playing too, except no one bothered to tell me.  Instinctively, this saved, sanctified, holy ghost filled woman smashed on the gas, halted to a stop, got out of my car and demanded to know “who that little niggah” was that just threw a 5-gallon bucket of water in my car.  Of course no one answered, thankfully.  I instinctively pulled out my phone to call my son and I heard someone say jokingly:  “who she callin’, the “poh-lice”?  Thankfully Te’Mon didn’t answer.  As they snickered at me, I announced that I was Te’Mon and Lonnell’s momma, and somebody was gonna pay for me to get my hair done again.  Sweetie, you could have cut the silence with a chain saw.  The entire mood shifted, out of nowhere someone (not the culprit) appeared with a towel attempting to dry my car off as I stood there fuming.  Can you say, “game over”.  As my right ear was ringing from being doused with water I quickly came to my senses and realized that someone might get seriously hurt if I didn’t calm down.
·       Dog Fighting: is a type of blood sport, generally defined as pitting two game dogs against one another in a ring or pit for the entertainment of spectators or the gratification of the dogfighters AKA "dogmen". In rural areas, dog fights are often hosted in barns or outdoor pits; in urban areas, fights may occur in garages, basements, warehouses, abandoned buildings, back alleys, neighborhood playgrounds, or in the streets. Dog fights usually last until one dog is declared a winner, which occurs when one dog fails to scratch, one dog dies, or one dog jumps out of the pit.  It is alleged that the loser, if not killed in the fight, is typically killed by the owner through a gun, beatings, or torture. However, sometimes dog fights end without declaring a winner. For instance, the dog's owner may call the fight. Dog fighting is big money.  Revenue is generated from stud fees, admission fees and gambling.  Dog Fighting is also a felony in all 50 states, District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands.  In addition to being a felony in all 50 states, the federal U.S. Animal Welfare Act makes it unlawful for any person to knowingly sell, buy, possess, train, transport, deliver, or receive any dog for purposes of having the dog participate in an animal fighting venture. The act also makes it unlawful for any person to knowingly use the mail service of the US Service or any instrumentality of interstate commerce for commercial speech for purposes of advertising a dog for use in an animal fighting venture, promoting or in any other manner furthering an animal fighting venture except as performed outside the limits of the States of the United States. Worldwide, several countries have banned dog fighting, but it is still legal in some countries like Japan, Honduras, and parts of Russia.
·       Rooster/Cock Fight:  A cockfight is a blood sport between two roosters (cocks), or more accurately gamecocks, held in a ring called a cockpit. These fights date back as far as 1521 in the Philippines.  The combatants, referred to as gamecocks, are specially bred birds, conditioned for increased stamina and strength that possess congenital aggression toward all males of the same species.  They are given the best of care until near the age of two years old; conditioned, much like professional athletes prior to events or shows.  There is also big money in cockfighting where the gamecocks fight enough to cause significant physical trauma and if to increase the entertainment, it is a common practice to attach metal spurs to the natural spurs. While not all fights are to the death, the cocks may endure significant physical trauma. In some areas around the world, cockfighting is still practiced as a mainstream event; in some countries it is regulated by law, or forbidden outright. Advocates of the "age old sport" often list cultural and religious relevance as reasons for perpetuation of cockfighting as a sport.
·       To fight for a cause: freedom of choice; human trafficking; breastcancer awareness; MADD; civil rights; the war on black and brown people, I mean the war on drugs;

I’m out of time, we’ll continue the fight journey tomorrow.


In His New and Excellent Service



Tania Not Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment