Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Fight Club Pt. 2: What Kind of Fighter are You?

Yesterday we discussed the various types of fights (blood sports) that existed as early as the 1500s, however, blood sports existed in the Roman Public and Roman Empire as early as 1st Century BC.  The use of Gladiators to fight their peers, slaves and animals; animals against animals including but not limited to dogs was common.  During these barbaric times there was no ACLU, Animal Rights, etc.  These fights took place in public places as form of entertainment for patrons and they generated lots of money.  Somehow dog and gamecock fighting stood the test of time and while they are illegal in the United States, several countries continue to use animal fighting as a form of entertainment.  Cage fighting” has become quite popular which to me is a mixture of martial arts, boxing and street brawling.  Underground "fight clubs"  similar to that of the 1999 movie starring Brad Pitt and Edward Nolton also generate “big money”. 

WIN!!!No. Win.That. Is. Why. We. Are. Serious. Do. You. Understand. me. If. You. Don't. You. Better. Start.

During the Love Life and Victory, the call after the “Call” there was an interesting dialogue which consisted of several Victors sharing their experience as youth.  No one identified themselves as a bully but several admitted that they were “fighters”.  They were as follows:
·       Number 1: recalled being somewhat “scary” until she realized that if she fought, people were less likely to try and bully or take advantage of her.  She did very little talking about what she was going to do to someone and opted to act without the person even realizing what was happening.
·       Number 2: recalls the intent to avoid fights, not out of fear of the challenger(s) (which most people assumed) but out of fear of what she might do to them, because if pushed past her threshold she would go “so hard in the paint” she would almost black out (for lack of a better term) ultimately losing control so she intentionally avoided fights.
·       Number 3: readily admits being a fighter plain and simple.
·       Number 4: admitted to avoiding fights at all costs because he knew that he would “lose it” and couldn’t be responsible for what happened during a fight because he would not be able to listen to reasonable thoughts externally or internally.   Number 5:  stated that she was not a physical fighter but fought best with words.  Several others admitted to this type of fighting as well, whether written or spoken.

When I was eleven years old I recall one fight that was completely unfair with a boy who “liked me” and was angry with me because I didn’t “like him back”.  Well maybe I would have “liked” him back if I had known but instead of writing me a note, telling someone to tell me he liked me or actually telling me himself, he resorted to violence.  Now that I think about it, the girl that was the bully of our school who was clearly jealous of me was egging him on the most in front of the growing crowd.  I tried to escape to my home just three blocks from the school and thought I had been rescued when a neighbor intervened and told everybody to leave me alone and to go home.  Those were the days when children actually respected and listened to adults without cussing them out or shooting them.  Unfortunately the neighbor didn’t walk me home and as I walk-ran the rest of the way and just before I turned the corner onto my street, KC met me from the opposite direction and before I knew it he hit be right in the mouth and busted my lip.  He probably still has a scar on his shin from the forceful kick that I gave him almost simultaneously.

If you will recall from yesterday’s declaration (blog) I explained that all fighting is not physical.  We can fight for a cause by donating our resources, time and/or money; by advocating for the rights of others as well as ourselves; by voting; by abstaining from certain things, etc.  Though all of us may not be physical fighters, I believe that we all have a certain amount of fight in us that is instinctive and fits our character.   

What kind of fighter are you? 

If you are over 18 and you’re still fighting physically have you considered the type of example you are setting for your children and/or those connected to you?  Perhaps you don’t fight physically but the words you use in your verbal fights deliver blows just as painful as a sucker punch and/or cut like sharp razors hidden under your tongue, again, have you considered the example you are setting? 

Do you ignore warning signs and/or retreat when situations arise?  Or do you pretend that nothing is wrong and avoid the situation(s) completely as if they don’t exist and opt for silence?

When drama surfaces do you pounce like a lion, reacting first and asking questions later?   How many times have you allowed your emotions to dictate the outcome only to discover later that you overreacted or reacted in error?  Did you apologize?  Would that be breaking the Fight Club rules?

Are you the type of fighter that can see it (the fight) brewing?  Do you create a strategic plan which
includes your favorite weapon of choice, back up team if needed and a couple of escape routes?




When you have run out of options, the people you thought you could count can’t be found, do you have the stamina, the stick-to-it-ness, the backbone to stand in the face of your enemy(ies)?

Do you whine and complain about how unfair the fight is in hopes that the fight will disappear?  Do you self-medicate, overeat or check out mentally?

Do you fight yourself by sabotaging any progress or success you make and then blame others for your lack and/or failure?

What kind of fighter are you?

I’m out of time, we’ll continue the fight journey tomorrow.


In His New and Excellent Service


Tania Not Tanya

No comments:

Post a Comment