Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Completely Perfect



Completely Perfect
 
Do you know anyone that is or claims to be a perfectionist?
   Yes you do, "what's her name?"  The one who has "a personal standard, attitude, or philosophy that demands perfection and rejects anything less."  You know, the one with the "perfect" weave, eyelashes, nails, teeth, and stuff.  I didn't want to say her name, but yeah, that one.  Did you know she has a twin brother, who is just like her?
How would you describe their character?
   Are they easy to get along with?
   Are they judgmental?

If the answer to the last two questions is yes, I would venture to say that their perfection is not complete -- in other words, s/he is not truly a perfectionist.  In fact, they have at least two character flaws: 1) don't get along with others; 2) they are judgmental. 

I cannot remember where I heard or read it, but I am almost 99% sure that I have heard someone referring to Christians as "perfect".  What does that mean?  I am so glad you asked.

To be perfect according to Webster is:
   entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings
   accurate, exact, or correct in every detail
   thorough; complete
   pure or unmixed
I looked throughout Webster but couldn't any specific person's name, in fact, Webster played it safe and only defines the word using verbs and adjectives.  Since Webster's dictionary didn't satisfy my curiosity, I went to The Word, I would have done that anyway, but here's what it says:

Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. (James 1:2-4 NLT)

Another translation says ... when you fall into various trials. ...

First of all, James has no clue about the trouble I've seen so how can he say I should consider my troubles an opportunity for great joy?  Who in their right mind is going to be joyous about trials and/or troubles?  That sounds like a bunch of foolishness. 

May I go deeper?

God specializes in taking foolish things to confound "the wise":

Instead, God chose things the world considers foolish in order to shame those who think they are wise. And he chose things that are powerless to shame those who are powerful. (1 Corinthians1:27 NLT) 

I say this with all respect, but if you fully understood your rights as True Followers of Christ, you would see how this scripture makes "perfect" sense. One huge disadvantage for many Followers is that they do not know how to use their weapon and/or they just don't use it at all.  Weapon?  We have a weapon?  Are you kidding me, what weapon?  The Sword of the Spirit, The Word, The Bible
Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. (Ephesians 6:17 NLT). 

What does this have to do with joy over drama? 1) When you are sad, agitated, angry, etc. you cannot think straight and you will become spiritually (and possibly physically) depleted which makes you a prime target for the enemy to take advantage of you; 2) If you can remain joyous, not because of the drama, but because of the FREE insurance policy we are guaranteed, it will be well worth it.  My blog on The Guarantee fully explains this insurance policy so I won't re-cap it here.  I will say that as Followers one of our fringe benefits is the fact that we WIN in every situation (trial or trouble). 

I hear you, "but how can I have joy in this mess?"  You've gotta stir it up.  Huh?  How?  The same way you do when you get yourself all angry and upset.  Think about it (joy, happiness, peace, the outcome, etc.) over and over and over.  See yourself free and delivered.  What does it feel, taste, smell and look like?  What will the joy allow you to do?  Say these scriptures to yourself OUT LOUD: "I am not sad, I am happy, I have joy unspeakable and full of glory"; "I am more than a conqueror", "I can do all things through Christ who gives me the strength", "No weapon formed against me will prosper and every tongue that rises up against me, though shalt condemn"; "Lift up your head oh ye gates and be ye lifted up ye ever lasting doors and the King of Glory shall come in.   Who is the King of Glory, The Lord strong mighty in battle".  I guarantee you if you declare these types of scriptures over and over and over and over, you will send despair, depression, guilt, anxiety, hopelessness, an any other negative thought straight to HELL where they belong and the Joy of The Lord will strengthen you.
And Nehemiah continued, Go and celebrate with a feast of rich foods and sweet drinks, and share gifts of food with people who have nothing prepared. This is a sacred day before our Lord. Dont be dejected and sad, for the joy of the Lord is your strength! (Nehemiah 8:10 NLT)

In closing, when your faith (your journey, walk with Christ) is tested, it is simply an opportunity for your patience/endurance to grow.  Don't stifle or retard your growth, for where there is no growth there is no life and where there is no life there is only death.  When you allow your patience to grow and develop you will be perfect and complete in Christ. 

Not that you won't make a mistake because you will ... we are human, but your faith will be perfected, in other words you will have reached a level of maturity which will not allow you to run from trials or trouble but to run to them, knowing that you will come out of the situation as pure gold.  A treasure and invaluable asset to the Kingdom of God.


In His humble Excellence

No comments:

Post a Comment