Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Pillow Talk



I know most of us can relate to “pillow talk”.  Wikipedia defines it as the relaxed, intimate conversation that often occurs between two sexual partners after the act of coitus, usually accompanied by cuddling, caresses, and other physical intimacy.

Pillow Talk is my thought for today

There will be ups and downs on our journey through life.  Some of the downs will cause us to ask why?  We may question ourselves, those around us, but more often than not we will ask: Why, God, why?

Often enough we know the answer, but it is in those times of uncertainty that cause us to lay in bed (or on the couch) on our backs looking up at the ceiling or on our sides with our heads turned to the wall (as King Hezekiah), caressing our pillows.  We attempt to lasso our wild thoughts and coral them on the positive, however, the thoughts seem to take on a life of their own.  They leap and jump from place to place like a wild bucking horse, finally the control that has kept them fenced in all day.  The run energetically like a hyper child intent on wandering the rooms, halls, doorways and cracks of our brains touching things they should not.  We try desperately to keep them in check: 

"Don't touch that"'; “Come back here!”; “Don’t open that door, there’s a monster in there”; “I will keep thee in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on me”; “Why is this happening to me”; “How long do I have to take this?” “Are you there God?”  “Can you hear me?” 

We become so overwhelmed by the allusion of truth (our perceptions) that our minds can no longer take the pressure.  To avoid a brain overload, shutdown or breakdown, the brain redirects the steam produced from the stress we have allowed our thoughts to create and turns into liquid so that it can escape our eyes and nostrils.  This liquid is also known as “tears” (Tender Emotions Ameliorated  to Reduce Stress). 

For many of us, there seems to be some type of automatic alarm pre-set to release TEARS late at night or in the wee hours of the morning when we are least likely to be interrupted by a caring or nosy hand on our trembling shoulders asking if we are “alright”. 

At that point it’s a wrap.  The stinging in the back of our throat from silencing the anguish is almost unbearable, but if we release the silent screams it will be deafening to everyone within earshot and jolt them all awake.  Instead we opt to give in and allow the liquid to quickly fill and pour out of our closed eyes, down our checks, forming a pool in our ears which ultimately spills over them and down our necks ultimately forming the pool of TEARS on our pillow. 

Still fighting to be brave, trembling almost violently we finally give into the desperate release that is oh so needed.  Not because we are weak, afraid or have given up, but because are human.  There is no shame in having a good “release-party” sometimes it’s downright healthy, you just need to ensure you don’t have them too often.

I am no stranger to “release parties” which is why I am able to describe them so well.  


It’s important to know that you are not alone.  Let’s look at the Word to see if there are any witnesses that we can identify with:

Psalm 6:1-3: O Lord, do not rebuke me in your anger, Nor chasten me in your hot displeasure.  Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak; O Lord, heal me, for my bones are troubled.  My soul also is greatly troubled; But You, O Lord—how long?
Psalm 6:6-7: I am weary with my groaning; all night I make my bed swim; I drench my couch with my tears. My eye wastes away because of grief; It grows old because of all my enemies.

Psalm 39:12:  “Hear my prayer, O Lord, and give ear to my cry; do not be silent at my tears; for I am a stranger with you, a sojourner, as all my fathers were.

Isaiah 38:5:  “Go and tell Hezekiah, ‘Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father: “I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears; surely I will add to your days fifteen years.

Psalms 126:5 NKJV:  Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy

Psalms 119:27-31 GW:  Help me understand your guiding principles so that I may reflect on your miracles. I am drowning in tears. Strengthen me as you promised. Turn me away from a life of lies. Graciously provide me with your teachings. I have chosen a life of faithfulness. I have set your regulations in front of me. I have clung tightly to your written instructions. O Lord, do not let me be put to shame.

Psalm 116:1-9 NIRV:  I love the Lord, because he heard my voice. He heard my cry for his favor. Because he paid attention to me, I will call out to him as long as I live. The ropes of death were wrapped around me. The horrors of the grave came over me. I was overcome by trouble and sorrow. Then I called out to the Lord. I cried out, "Lord, save me!" The Lord is holy and kind. Our God is full of tender love. The Lord takes care of those who are as helpless as children. When I was in great need, he saved me. I said to myself, "Be calm. The Lord has been good to me." Lord, you have saved me from death. You have dried the tears from my eyes. You have kept me from tripping and falling. So now I can enjoy life here with you while I'm still living.

Can you imagine a God, the one true and living God, who cares so much for us that He will dry our tears?  He may not do it with a Kleenex tissue or handkerchief but he will do it nonetheless.  It may be in the form of:
·       a phone call, email, text or instant message from someone telling you that they are praying for you; or
·       one of your children giving you a great big bear hug and telling you they love you; or
·       your spouse surprising you with a “date night”; or
·       something totally unexpected
That is God’s way of extending his special “Favor”, undeserving kindness, over you and confirming that He sees, cares and knows all about it.

1 Peter 5:7: says Casting all your care upon him for He cares for you.


In His Humble Excellence


Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment