Friday, March 7, 2014

Game Over



My brother and I played a game of air hockey a while ago and he beat me the first two games (I can’t be good at everything :)  But for game three, I scored the first point, threw my hands up and declared “GAME OVER!”  He protested that the game wasn’t over.  I said “yes it is because I scored, got my picture taken and I’m gonna quit while I’m ahead.” I threw my pusher down on the table and walked away as I called out, “Who’s Next!”  (For clarity "the pusher" is the device used to push the puck across the table, it's not a person)  LOL, ROFL, just being real :)
  
"Game Over" is a video game message signaling that the game has ended. The phrase has since seen wider use to describe the end of an event in real life (e.g. the end of a process).

"Game Over" is also used as a phrase to concede defeat, as for example in the movie Aliens where Private William Hudson (actor Bill Paxton) shouts, "Game over, man!" during a scene.  Ironically this spur of the moment ad lib phrase by Praxton earned him extra money when Super Nintendo game makers used his voice for their adaption of the game Alien3.

My thought for today is Game Over

Tania, I’m grown, I don’t have time to play games so what are you talking about?  That’s a great question and since you asked, I guess that means I have permission to tell you the truth.  Being brutally honest and assuming you are not one of those people who say they want to know the truth and when its delivered they get mad or shut down?  The game I’m talking about is the game of your life.  OK; I see the blank stare.  I hear you, “My life is not a game.”  Then why do you treat it like it is? Here’s what I mean:
·       We say we love God with our mouths; we go through the motions when at church but when we leave, we can do the complete fool in a heartbeat if someone pisses us off;
·       You’re riding down the freeway, somebody cuts you off, you catch up to them, cuss them out like it’s your second language and then speed off in your car that has JESUS LOVES YOU; and GOD IS ON BOARD stickers on the bumper all in front of your kids;
·       Even though you feel guilty and convicted you have pre-marital sex to get your bills paid though you said you wouldn’t anymore and have the nerve to say God made a way;
·       It’s time to submit your annual renewal (housing, EBT, etc.).  If you report you’re working now your benefits will be affected but you can’t afford a reduction so you lie on the application and feel relief because “no one saw you”;
·       You allow yourself to be a garbage can; add some of your own “zest” and spread the nasty rumor only to find out three months later NONE of it was true. The Holy Spirit convicts and urges you to apologize but you don’t because you’re embarrassed.

My thought for today is Game Over

Backdrop: The New Testament church was just getting started.  They had no resources.  People voluntarily sold possessions, freely gave the proceeds to support the ministry to ensure no one went lacking (Acts 4:32-37).   

1But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession. And he kept back part of the proceeds, his wife also being aware of it, and brought a certain part and laid it at the apostles’ feet. But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself? While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.”  5Then Ananias, hearing these words, fell down and breathed his last. So great fear came upon all those who heard these things. And the young men arose and wrapped him up, carried him out, and buried him.  Now it was about three hours later when his wife came in, not knowing what had happened. And Peter answered her, “Tell me whether you sold the land for so much?” She said, “Yes, for so much.”  Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” 10 Then immediately she fell down at his feet and breathed her last. And the young men came in and found her dead, and carrying her out, buried her by her husband. 11 So great fear came upon all the church and upon all who heard these things.  (Acts 5:1-11 NKJV)

This saved couple was literally killed by God for lying to the Pastor, Peter.  They chose to sell their property, donate the proceeds, then developed a scheme to lie about the sale amount.  They had every right to change their minds, donate a lesser amount or not donate at all.  Since they decided to play games, God chose to make an example out of them. 
But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelations 21:8 NKJV)
They weren't even allowed to give them a proper funeral

It’s time out for playing games.  You are playing with your life -- Game Over.
Therefore, to him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin. (James 4:17)
The eyes of the Lord are in every place, beholding the evil and the good (Proverbs 15:3).

The bible has multiple examples of “gamers”:
·       Adam: Evicted from the Garden (Genesis 3:17-19)
·       King Saul was rejected (1 Samuel 15)
·       David, Bethsheba, Uriah: King David’s house was cursed (2Samuel 11 and 12)

You can decide today to fully commit your life to God and He will accept you with open arms.  Will you make mistakes, yes, we all do and He understands.  That is different from the person who willfully and habitually sins, assuming that God either doesn’t see them or He will always give them a pass because he is a loving and forgiving God.
I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your terror comes, when your terror comes like a storm, and your destruction comes like a whirlwind, when distress and anguish come upon you. “Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will seek me diligently, but they will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord, they would have none of my counsel and despised my every rebuke Proverbs 1:26-30 (NKJV)

In His Humble Excellence


Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment